Saturday, March 24, 2012

Long Time Gone

Holy Cow!  I cannot believe that I started this journey over a year ago and I am weeks away from the final product!  I know that most people are banded within months of starting the process, but I had a....well....I was side tracked.  For about 6 months.  A very long and challenging six months.  I flew through the medical clearance, slept with a million wires attached to my head to prove that I can breathe just fine, and even (Praise the Lord) had my insurance company approve the process.  I went to seminars to learn how to eat after the process, and ordered my special vitamins and protein powders.  So, what could I be waiting for?

Psychological Clearance.

Really?  I mean, really?  I don't have psychological clearance?  I have a Master's in Counseling for crying out loud and I couldn't pass this?  Ugg!!!

Well, maybe he (the Doctor) knew what he was talking about.

I have a long love affair with food.  It's my go-to comfort source.  A best friend who does not judge and rarely disappoints.  It's warm and gooey and filling and ever-present.  And after I am banded, it will not be available for me.  I needed to learn new skills.  I needed to learn how to cope with my thoughts and emotions in other ways besides Lou's Deep Dish with Pepperoni, Sausage, and Onions or a McDonald's McDouble.  So, after 6 months of highs and lows, therapists and psychiatrists, I am ready for clearance.  Hollllaaa!!!  Dr. Anderson said we would have our final pow-wow on Monday and then she would write me my letter.  And my last gall-bladder ultrasound is on Tuesday, after which I get to schedule my surgery date!  I am so excited!  I am so ready!

I will not end my growth journey here, though.  I have an AWESOME therapist through Insight that I will continue to see on a weekly basis to work through my issues, to talk to about creating new game plans to handle stress and anxiety, and who will work with me as I develop the new Megan.

Hang on tight....it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an older post, but felt the need to comment- I'm new and went back to read your story from the beginning 😃

    I was worried about the psych eval too. Figured that might be the one place I get stopped. The office I am working with works with one doctor for the psych work. It was literally 4 minutes. Basically because I've not thought about suicide and don't hear voices, I'm good to go. I love the fact that I am done, but worry it wont help in the end. I find myself eating for a lot of other reasons than I'm hungry and HOPE I can make the changes I need on my own. Soooooo, while it held you up I initially, I hope it will make things easier on you later!

    So glad to be following your story!

    ReplyDelete